Toggle menu

School Complaints

Guidance on the school complaints process

Please note that West Berkshire Council has no role in school complaints.

How to complain about a state school

If you have a concern or complaint, contact your child's school directly to discuss the problem first.

All schools are required to have their own complaints procedure. You should ask the school for a copy of their procedure which will explain what you need to do next. You may be able to find this document on the school's website.

If your complaint isn't resolved by teaching staff or the headteacher, you can write formally to the Chair of Governors (c/o the school address) outlining your concern.

If you have a complaint about the curriculum, sex education and religious worship in a maintained school, please contact the Department for Education.


If you think your complaint was not dealt with correctly

If you're unhappy with the way your complaint was dealt with by the governing body, you can ask the Department for Education to consider your complaint.


Academy complaints

To complain about an academy, you should follow the academy's formal complaints procedure or contact the Education Funding Agency (EFA).


Independent school complaints

The Independent Schools Inspectorate can provide guidance on the complaints procedure for independent schools.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email