Toggle menu

Ordering a Certificate

How to request a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Where do I get a replacement (certified copy) of a certificate?

A birth, death, marriage or civil partnership is always registered in the district in which it took place. You need to apply to that district's Register Office to obtain a copy of the certificate.

We hold the records of all births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which have taken place in the Newbury area since registration began in 1837. Exceptions to this may be areas where the boundaries have changed. If you are unsure if your record will be held here, please telephone us and we will do a search for you.

How can I get a copy of a certificate?

  • By telephone (the number is at the foot of this page) - making payment by credit or debit card
  • By email to - once we've found the record, we will ask you to make payment by telephone 

We don't have the resources to undertake exhaustive searches for records, but we'll be happy to search the year you give and two years either side to try and find your certificate.

What details will I need to provide?

Please provide as much information as you can, including where possible:

  • persons name
  • date and place of birth/death/marriage/civil partnership
  • parents names and mothers maiden name for a birth certificate
  • your name and address
  • reason for applying for certificate

General Register Office index reference numbers are different from ours and will not help us identify the record.

How much will it cost?

Please see our price list page for a list of our current fees.

Adopted Persons replacement certificate

Where a birth certificate is required for an adopted person you should apply to the General Register Office - Adoptions Section.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email