Toggle menu

Giving Legal Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

How to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in West Berkshire.

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England or Church of Wales by Banns or Common Licence, notice must be given by each of you, in person, to your local Superintendent Registrar. No one else can give notice on your behalf. You must have been resident in the district for at least seven days before a notice can be given.

If you live in West Berkshire notice can be given at The Register Office, Shaw House. If you and your partner live in different registration districts, you will need to give notice separately in the district in which you/they live.

Once notice has been given

Once notice has been given, the details will be displayed on a public notice board for 28 days. If either or both of you are subject to immigration control, the period could be extended to 70 days under certain circumstances. Please bear this in mind when making arrangements for your ceremony and notice appointment.

A Marriage Schedule/Civil Partnership Schedule can then be issued and is valid for one year from the date on which the notice was given. You must have decided where the marriage or civil partnership is to take place before you give notice as this must be stated on the legal documentation.

Changes from July 2021

From 1 July 2021, if one or both of you is not British, Irish or a person who has been granted EU Settlement Status, you must both attend your appointment together at the register office in the district where one of you lives. You will be required to bring evidence of your immigration status.

You can find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Do I need an appointment?

Yes, please phone us to make an appointment. Appointments are available Monday to Friday. 

What documents will I need to produce?

When you telephone to make an appointment we will explain the documents required, but they will include:

  • evidence of identity and nationality - a passport is the ideal document, but a birth certificate may also be accepted depending on your circumstances
  • evidence of address - this may include a driving licence, council tax bill, recent utility bill or bank statement
  • evidence that a previous marriage or civil partnership has ended - if you are divorced, and your divorce was granted in England or Wales,  you will need to produce a court sealed Final and Absolute; if you were divorced elsewhere, you must produce the original document issued by that country along with a translation if necessary, there is a fee payable for the clearance of a foreign divorce; if you are widowed please bring the death certificate of your previous spouse
  • evidence of a change of name
  • a notice fee - please see our price list page
  • a marriage fee (see our price list page) - if your ceremony is taking place in West Berkshire you will also need to pay this fee when you give notice
  • if either of you is under the age of 18 you will need to produce evidence that consent has been given by your parent(s) or guardian - please contact us for a consent form

Please be aware that photocopies of any of these documents will not be acceptable.

Foreign Nationals

You can find full information on the GOV.UK website.

Please note, it is your responsibility to read this and satisfy yourself that you have the correct documentation:

  • from 1 July 2021, any person granted EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status (either settled or pre-settled) must bring their status share code to the appointment. The code can be obtained via the Government website - 'View and prove your immigration status'
  • if you have a pending application submitted before 30 June 2021, you will need to bring a hardcopy letter showing your Certificate of Application
  • if either of you are nationals from outside Britain or Ireland and do not hold EU Settlement Scheme status, you must bring evidence of your immigration status to your appointment (eg visa stamp in passport, Biometric residence permit)
  • if you possess a limited visa, have obtained a marriage/civil partnership entry clearance visa, or have no valid evidence of your immigration status, you will both be required to bring one passport sized photo with you to the appointment

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email