Toggle menu

Care Needs Assessment and Eligibility

Understanding your needs and circumstances to help you stay as independent as possible

On this page:

    What is a Care and Support Needs Assessment?

    Before we can work out the best way forward in your situation, we'll talk to you to understand what you want and need, and how we can help you stay as independent as possible. This may involve a discussion about resources in your community that might be helpful for you.

    We will work with you to identify your strengths and find ways that we can help maintain or improve your wellbeing, and prevent and reduce the care and support you need.

    A care and support needs assessment will consider what support you need in your day-to-day life and will find out if you're eligible for support from West Berkshire Council.

    The Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2014 set out the national eligibility threshold. This means that there is a level of need at which we will offer support. This now set by the government, so it's the same wherever you live.

    If You're Eligible for Help

    If you are assessed as having an eligible need, we will work with you to identify solutions and agree the things we need to do to meet your requirements. 

    We'll agree the steps with you and write them down in a detailed Care and Support plan. 

    We will also talk to you about paying for your care, complete a financial assessment and arrange a personal budget.

    If You're Not Eligible for Help

    If you are not assessed as having an eligible need, we will still provide information, advice and agree any preventative actions to help you remain independent. This might include putting you in touch with other services, organisations and support groups.

    Arranging an Assessment

    To arrange an assessment, you can complete our online enquiry form, or call our Adult Social Care Contact Centre.

    If you are unable to tell us what you need, have communication difficulties or have no one else to support you, we will arrange for an independent advocate to help you through the process.

    Specialist Assessments

    We will also consider if any specialist assessments would be useful to help work out the right solutions for your needs.

    If you have complex needs relating to moving and positioning, or need a major adaptation to your home, we may refer you for a specialist Occupational Therapy assessment. There may be financial support for home adaptations available in some circumstances.

    Assessment Before Coming Out of Hospital

    If you have been admitted to a ward, make sure that you tell the hospital staff about any difficulties you might face when you get back home. 

    Our Coming Out of Hospital webpage explains the process, and the various assessments that may need to take place.

    Requesting a Carers Assessment

    Carers carry out a vital role and have a right to an assessment of their needs to make sure that they are being supported in the best way possible.

    More information is available on our Support for Carers webpage.

    Reviews for People in Receipt of Ongoing Services

    We will review your support package at least once a year.

    We will contact you to check that you are happy that the correct level of help and support is being provided to meet your individual needs. People's needs can change over time, this might mean your support may increase, decrease or end.  This may involve contact from us regarding the Single Handed Care service.

    Share this page

    Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email