How to create and submit a petition to influence council policy, plans or activity
Petitions can be used to ask us to take some action on an issue in the West Berkshire area.
You can take a look at petitions that have already been submitted on our e-petitions webpage.
Creating a Petition
Thesets the rules about how petitions should be created, what the petition needs to say for us to be able to respond to it and what happens afterwards.
You can create a petition online, collect signatures by hand on a paper version ( ), or maintain an electronic document for submission by email.
You should always read the constitution for full instructions on how to create and submit a petition.
Generally, petitions need to include:
- a clear purpose and statement about why they're being created
- the name and contact details of the petition organiser
- at least 50 signatories
Submitting a Petition
Petitions can be submitted:
- online, through the e-petitions webpage
- Councillor for your Ward to present it at Council (you can arrange to present the petition yourself at an Executive meeting)
, either directly to a council officer, or by asking the
- by email to email@example.com