Toggle menu

Permitted development

Developments that may not need planning permission.

Some common projects such as extensions, improvements and alterations can be undertaken without the need for planning permission. These types of development are known as 'permitted development'.

You can find out more about whether you need permission on the Planning Portal. If your proposal relates to a dwellinghouse, the government's permitted development guidance for householders may be useful.

In some locations, we have withdrawn permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction - you can find out more on our withdrawal of permitted development rights page.

Remember: even if you don't need planning permission for your development, the same proposal may require Building Regulations approval or may be liable for Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).

Informal advice

Our duty planning officer can give informal advice and clarification around permitted development. They cannot give formal confirmation as to whether an application is required.

Written confirmation (certificate of lawfulness)

If you need written confirmation that planning permission is not required for your development, you can apply to us for a Certificate of Lawfulness. You can make this application online on the Planning Portal.

You can find further information, downloadable forms, checklists and help notes for this on our Certificate of Lawfulness page.


Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and Permitted Development

Even if you don't need planning permission for your development, you should check if your development could be liable for CIL.

If you believe you may need to pay CIL due to the type of development, you should complete and submit a Notice of Chargeable Development form, including the assumption of liability section.

You can find out more on our CIL process page.


Larger home extensions

In May 2013, the government widened 'permitted development rights' to temporarily allow larger home extensions. Note that these exclude dwellinghouses located on certain types of land, such as:

The planning portal has further information about extensions. You may also find the guidance on common projects and extensions helpful.

Please use the Notification of Larger Home Extension Form and Guidance Note to notify us of your proposed larger home extension.


Other developments

As well as catering for homeowners, in May 2013 the government widened 'permitted development rights' to allow offices to be changed to residential use, and to increase flexibility for change of use of buildings currently used for agricultural, retail, business and other commercial/professional uses, to other uses. In these cases a 'Prior Approval' application may be required.

In some cases this is a temporary extension to the permitted development rights. The full regulations and criteria for such extended permitted development rights are outlined in the Permitted Development Rights Regulations.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email