Toggle menu

New Residents: Health and Wellbeing Information

The information below is to help people who are new to West Berkshire to access further information about health and wellbeing.

How to register with a GP surgery

Anyone in England can register with a GP surgery. It's free to register. Visit NHS - Find a GP for more information.


How can I reduce my risk of developing Dementia?

To find out more about Dementia, please visit the Dementia Friendly West Berkshire website.


How can I eat more healthily?

The NHS provide informaiton and guidance about eating a healthy balanced diet. Visit NHS - Eat Well web page  for more information. 

If you are struggling to put food on the table you can contact the West Berkshire Foodbank. There are a few simple steps to follow. Option 1 is to call the local crisis foodline help desk on (01635) 760560 where they can talk through your situation, and if appropriate, give you an electronic voucher number, which will enable you to get free food from a local Foodbank Centres. Option 2 is to visit a local referral agency (such as Citizens Advice or health visitor). They will discuss your situation, and supply you with a red foodbank voucher where appropriate. Foodbank centres provide three days of nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food (e.g. breakfast cereal, soup, pasta, rice and tinned beans).


How can I be more physically active?

You can find out more about physical activity on our public health pages, here.


How can I improve my mental wellbeing?

You can find out more about looking after your mental health on our public health pages, here.


How can I stop smoking?

You can find out more about the support available on our Stop Smoking webpage, here.


Where can I access free emergency contraception?

Our Emergency contraception in West Berkshire webpage contains information about free Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) treatment, who can access it and how.


Where can I find out about local community support groups?

You can search on our aDoddle map to find lots of different community groups near you.


How can I find out about volunteering?

You can contact the Volunteer Centre West Berkshire to find out more about local volunteering opportunites. You can also find more ways to 'give' on our Five Ways to Wellbeing page.


Where can I find out about social care?

Please visit our Adult Social Care Advice page for more information about social care and how you can find out more.

You can also take a look at our SEND Local Offer on the West Berkshire Directory website.


General wellbeing resources

Our General Health and Wellbeing webpage provides a selection of resources which aim to support residents of West Berkshire to maintain their general health and wellbeing.

Some of the topics covered include: nutritional guidelines, advice on sleep, physical activity recommendations and looking after your mental health and wellbeing.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email