Guidance for School and Social Care Transport Operators
For prospective or existing home-to-school and social care transport operators
On this page:
- Tendering and Procurement
- New Operators
- DBS Checks, ID Badges and Training for Drivers and Passenger Assistants
- Conditions of Contract and Code of Practice
- Invoice Verification Forms
- West Berkshire School Standard Term Dates
Tendering and Procurement
Home-to-school transport and other client transport contracts are procured through West Berkshire Council's e-procurement portal - we would advise all operators to register with this portal.
Specifically, the Council have launched a Dynamic Purchasing System for procuring client passenger transport services. Operators are encouraged to apply to join this to ensure they are registered with us and included on future tendering opportunities. Please see our .
In addition to registering with us through the Dynamic Purchasing System, operators should also, to ensure they are correctly set up on the Council's financial systems.
You will need to submit:
- a copy of your Insurance (Public and Employers Liability) documents
- a copy of your Motor Insurance
- your bank details on supplier letterhead
- a copy of your Operator's Licence(s)
- a copy of your drivers' Taxi Licences (where appropriate)
- a list of the drivers and passenger assistants that you may be using
If you have any difficulties, please contact our Transport Services Team.
(Please note: we also welcome applications from schools to become operators - please get in touch for more information.)
DBS Checks, ID Badges and Training for Drivers and Passenger Assistants
Every driver and passenger assistant must hold an enhanced Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) disclosure and identification and have attended suitable training - all as approved by West Berkshire Council's Transport Services Team.
- DBS Checks - To apply for a DBS check, West Berkshire taxi drivers should contact Licensing, in all other circumstances, please contact our Human Resources team. Applicants will also need to complete a .
- ID Badges - Must be worn at all times when carrying out services under contract to the Council. Taxi drivers should already have an identification badge from their licensing authority. In all other circumstances, an ID badge can be obtained through the Council's Transport Services Team by forwarding a copy of your enhanced DBS check (as above) and a passport-style photo. (Please note: any badges issued by West Berkshire Council must be returned when no longer required.)
- Training - All drivers and passenger assistants must complete suitable Disability Awareness and Safeguarding training and complete refresher training every three years.
If providing transport for a wheelchair user, drivers and passenger assistants should also complete a Wheelchair Assessment or safe transportation of passengers in wheelchairs training (and refresher training every three years). Suitable courses are readily available through the Blue Lamp Trust - you may be able to use other suppliers but please seek confirmation from the Council first. Please forward a copy of all training certificates to the Council's Transport Services Team.
Conditions of Contract and Code of Practice
All approved operators should make sure they are fully aware of West Berkshire's
Invoice Verification Forms
Invoices for completed journeys should be submitted at the end of each month with an accompanying
West Berkshire School Standard Term Dates
You can find school term dates for West Berkshire Schools, here.
Please bear in mind however that individual schools can set inset dates and make slight amendments to these dates. Independent schools or schools outside West Berkshire will frequently have different term dates. If you have any concerns, please contact the school or the Transport Services Team directly.