Toggle menu

Guidance for School and Social Care Transport Operators

For prospective or existing home-to-school and social care transport operators

On this page:

Tendering and Procurement

Home-to-school transport and other client transport contracts are procured through West Berkshire Council's e-procurement portal - we would advise all operators to register with this portal. 

Specifically, the Council have launched a Dynamic Purchasing System for procuring client passenger transport services. Operators are encouraged to apply to join this to ensure they are registered with us and included on future tendering opportunities. Please see our Icon for pdf Guide for suppliers to using the Dynamic Purchasing System (DPS) [233KB] .

New Operators

In addition to registering with us through the Dynamic Purchasing System, operators should also Icon for doc complete and return our New Supplier Form [468KB] , to ensure they are correctly set up on the Council's financial systems.

You will need to submit:

  1. a copy of your Insurance (Public and Employers Liability) documents
  2. a copy of your Motor Insurance
  3. your bank details on supplier letterhead
  4. a copy of your Operator's Licence(s)
  5. a copy of your drivers' Taxi Licences (where appropriate)
  6. a list of the drivers and passenger assistants that you may be using

If you have any difficulties, please contact our Transport Services Team.

(Please note: we also welcome applications from schools to become operators - please get in touch for more information.)

DBS Checks, ID Badges and Training for Drivers and Passenger Assistants

Every driver and passenger assistant must hold an enhanced Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) disclosure and identification and have attended suitable training - all as approved by West Berkshire Council's Transport Services Team. 

  • DBS Checks - To apply for a DBS check, West Berkshire taxi drivers should contact Licensing, in all other circumstances, please contact our Human Resources team. Applicants will also need to complete a Icon for doc Home to School Transport Consent Form [24KB] .
  • ID Badges - Must be worn at all times when carrying out services under contract to the Council. Taxi drivers should already have an identification badge from their licensing authority. In all other circumstances, an ID badge can be obtained through the Council's Transport Services Team by forwarding a copy of your enhanced DBS check (as above) and a passport-style photo. (Please note: any badges issued by West Berkshire Council must be returned when no longer required.)
  • Training - All drivers and passenger assistants must complete suitable Disability Awareness and Safeguarding training and complete refresher training every three years. 
    If providing transport for a wheelchair user, drivers and passenger assistants should also complete a Wheelchair Assessment or safe transportation of passengers in wheelchairs training (and refresher training every three years). Suitable courses are readily available through the Blue Lamp Trust - you may be able to use other suppliers but please seek confirmation from the Council first. Please forward a copy of all training certificates to the Council's Transport Services Team.

Conditions of Contract and Code of Practice

All approved operators should make sure they are fully aware of West Berkshire's Icon for pdf Client Passenger Transport Conditions of Contract [930KB]  and their staff are aware of their responsibilities as described in the Icon for pdf Client Passenger Transport Code of Practice [517KB] .

Invoice Verification Forms

Invoices for completed journeys should be submitted at the end of each month with an accompanying Icon for doc Client Passenger Transport Invoice Verification Form [93KB] . This confirms the days and details of the transport provided, and needs to be signed, stamped and authorised by the establishment after the last day of operation in that month.

West Berkshire School Standard Term Dates

You can find school term dates for West Berkshire Schools, here.

Please bear in mind however that individual schools can set inset dates and make slight amendments to these dates. Independent schools or schools outside West Berkshire will frequently have different term dates. If you have any concerns, please contact the school or the Transport Services Team directly.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email