£150 Government Energy Rebate
This scheme has now closed and no further energy rebate payments can be paid.
Below is a brief description of the scheme which was in place from 1 April to 30 November 2022.
In February 2022, the Government announced that around 20 million households in England in Council Tax bands A-D will get a £150 energy rebate from April.
The rebate will not need to be repaid.
Who was eligible?
Households in Council Tax bands A-D should have received the £150 energy rebate. Customers who were resident and responsible for paying the Council Tax on 1 April 2022 were eligible.
This meant that 4 out of 5 households in England will have benefited, including around 95% of rented properties. Second homes and empty properties were not eligible.
If you are unsure of your Council Tax band, check it via your printed Council Tax bill or at: www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands.
When was the rebate paid?
All energy rebate payments that related to the main scheme were paid to customers or credited to a customer's Council Tax account by 30 September 2022. 45,000 customers received the rebate.
Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme
The council also confirmed those customers who were entitled to the £150 Energy Rebate as part of their Discretionary Scheme. They are customers who on 1 April 2022 were resident and:
- in Band E to H and entitled to either Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit
- in receipt of an Exemption as the property was occupied by an elderly relative
- in Band E to H where the liable party was in receipt of a Carer's Council Tax Discount Disregard
- in Band F to H and in receipt of a Disabled Reduction
- Council Tax Reduction claimants in Band A and B recieved a further £70 rebate
A further 1,600 rebates were paid under the Discretionary Scheme.
Last updated: 22 February 2023.
Frequently asked questions about the rebate scheme:
- I still haven't received my energy rebate and I think I was eligible - can I still apply? Unfortunately not, the main rebate scheme closed on 30 September 2022 and the Discretionary Scheme on 30 November 2022. No further claims can therefore be considered.